Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Subdivision Approval

Approval Process

We regulate the construction of new subdivisions in the county to ensure they have adequate water and sewer systems. This protects the public’s health and safety and prevents the spread of disease, pollution, and general nuisances.

To receive health department approval for a new subdivision, you must:

  • Get a referral from the planning agency of the municipality where the subdivision will be located and submit it to the Salt Lake County Health Department.
  • Submit to SLCoHD:
    1. Your subdivision plans
    2. Proof of an adequate drinking water supply (see next tab)
    3. Proof of adequate wastewater disposal (see third tab)
    4. The $55 subdivision plan review fee

The health department may perform inspections, reviews, and investigations to assure compliance. Failure to comply is a class B misdemeanor and may result in civil enforcement action or criminal prosecution.

Drinking Water

Water to a new subdivision can be supplied by either a public culinary water system or an individual culinary water system (an approved well).

If the subdivision will utilize public drinking water, the system must be approved by the Utah Division of Drinking Water. A letter from the water district stating that the system is adequate for the development (often called a "will-serve letter") can serve as a precondition of approval. 

If the subdivision will utilize an individual drinking water system, you must submit documentation that the system complies with Salt Lake County Health Department regulations.


Wastewater service to a new subdivision can be through an existing public sewer system or an individual wastewater disposal (septic) system.

If the public sewer system will service the development, the sewer district should supply you with a letter assuring SLCoHD that the system can serve your development and that adding the development to the system will not overload the treatment plant.

If the development will use individual wastewater disposal systems (such as septic tanks), you must submit documentation assuring that the system meets Utah Administrative Code R317 requirements, as well as additional requirements contained in Salt Lake County's Health Regulations.

Salt Lake County Health Department
General Information  
Phone: (385) 468-4100