Jim was first elected to the Salt Lake County Council as an At-Large member in 2000 and has continuously served in that position. He also served as Chair of the former Salt Lake County Commission from 1991-1994.
Currently, Jim is Chair of the Salt Lake Law Enforcement Service Area Board of Trustees and a member of the Board of the Unified Police Department. He also serves as a Trustee for the Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District and the Central Utah Water Conservancy District.
Jim has worked as a consultant in the areas of energy resource development, waste management, and policy development. He was appointed by former Governor Scott M. Matheson to serve as Executive Director of the Utah Energy Office.
Jim’s wife, Glenda, owns the 15th Street Gallery, a small business in the 15th and 15th neighborhood of Salt Lake City.
In addition to his current public positions, Jim currently serves on the boards of the Utah Museum of Fine Arts and the Utah Film Center.
- He has previously served other organizations in the following capacities:
- Economic Development Corporation of Utah, Executive Board
- Salt Lake County Council of Governments, Chairman
- Utah Energy Conservation and Resource Council, Director
- Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, Executive Board
- Children’s Service Society, Board
- Sundance Institute Advisory Board
- Salt Lake Art Center Friends of Contemporary Art, Board
- Utah’s Hogle Zoo, Board
- Repertory Dance Theatre, Board