Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

FPSS Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the common questions people ask when learning about Family Peer Support Specialists.  If you have additional questions or would like to inquire about working with an FPSS, please contact Kelly Ford - Phone: 801-631-1086 or use the contact form on the FPSS page.

What is a Family Peer Support Specialist?

A Family Peer Support Specialist (FPSS) is a person who listens to your struggles and provides help, support, and guidance as you and your child/youth work toward independence in your life.

Who do FPSSs work with?

Family Peer Support Specialists work with parents and/or primary caregivers who have children ages 5 to 18, or ages 18 to 26 if the child/youth still lives at home and/or has not graduated from high school.  The child/youth must be experiencing mental health and/or substance use challenges which are resulting in trouble at school, with the law and/or that put the child/youth at risk of out of home placement.

How can an FPSS help me?

A Family Peer Support Specialist can help you find and connect with needed resources, advocate for you and your child at school, in court, with mental health providers, etc.  He/she will also help you and your child to identify and prioritize your goals and needs.  All interactions are strength based, family driven, youth guided, and solution oriented.

How do I get an FPSS?

Salt Lake County has a team of Family Peer Support Specialists working for the Youth Services.  If you have any questions, please email 

What will FPSS services cost?

There is no cost associated with this program.

How long do FPSS services last?

There is no set timeline for services.