Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Tuition Reimbursement FAQs

Who is eligible to receive Tuition Reimbursement?

Employees must be either an appointed or merit employee eligible for benefits. They must work at least 20 hours a week. Merit employees must have success fully completed probation and appointed must complete six months of employment by the beginning of the term/semester/course (for specialized universities such as the University of Phoenix) for which tuition reimbursement is requested.

What type of education institution can I attend?

Must attend an educational institution accredited by one of the National or Regional Accreditation Councils for the U.S. Dept. of Education.

What type of classes can I take?

All course work must be taken for academic credit and have a grade associated with it.  Employees may seek a certificate, associates, bachelors, masters, or doctorate degree related to a field in which the County normally recruits employees. Individual classes must be related to and support an employees current position.  If you are unsure if your degree will be accepted please contact 385-468-0576.

Will the county cover tuition for a Doctoral Degree?

Doctoral degrees must have the endorsement of the employees’ Department Director or Elected Official.

What is the application process?

Submit a completed Tuition Reimbursement Application to the Human Resources Division. Applications must be received by Human Resources no sooner than thirty (30) calendar days before the term/semester begins or no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the beginning of the term/semester for which reimbursement is requested.

If you attend a non-traditional school such as the University of Phoenix applications must be received by the Human Resources Division no sooner than thirty (30) calendar days prior to the beginning of the course or no later than thirty (30) calendar days after the course has begun for which tuition reimbursement is being requested.

Late applications will not be accepted.

Do I need to submit applications for every term/semester/course I attend?

Yes, a separate application must be submitted.

How much of my tuition will you cover each term/semester/course I attend?

The amount of the tuition and mandatory fees eligible for reimbursement is

  • Full time employees (40 hours): 100% reimbursement up to the tuition limit
  • Three-quarter time employees (30 hours): 75% reimbursement up to the tuition limit
  • Half-time employees (20 hours): 50% reimbursement up to the tuition limit


What is the maximum amount of tuition reimbursement I can receive in a calendar year?

Currently this amount is:

  • Full time employees - $5,250.00
  • Three-quarter time employees - $3,937.50
  • Half-time employees - $2,625.00

The calendar year payment maximum is determined by the date the checks are received by the employee, not the date the courses were taken or completed.

Will tuition reimbursement cover expenses including books, tests, supplies, activity fees, CLEP, transportation, and room and board?

No. Those expenses are the responsibility of the employee. Reimbursement is for tuition paid and mandatory fees. There is one exception, CLEP tests reimbursable.

How will I get my reimbursement?

Monies are paid to the employee on their regular paycheck after submission of:

  • verification of satisfactory completion of the course (at least a “C” grade)
  • verification tuition was paid

These grades and payment documents must be received by Human Resources no later than 30 calendar days after term/semester/course completion. If the time period ends on a weekend or County Holiday, grades and proof of payment must be received by Human Resources on the day before the weekend or Holiday.

Late documents will not be accepted.

When will I get paid?

If your application has been approved, if grades and proof of payment have been submitted on time and if funds are available, you will be reimbursed on the next available paycheck as determined by the payroll submission dates set by the County. Payments for the same application will not be split into more than one payment.

If I leave the county do I have to repay my tuition reimbursement?

Employees who have received Tuition Reimbursement funds and who terminate from the County, either voluntarily or involuntarily (except in cases of reduction-in-force), must refund to the County monies received during the two year period preceding the date of termination. The amount owed to the County will be pro-rated on quarterly increments.