USU Bastian Agricultural Center
Salt Lake County has received a request from Utah State University Extension and the Bastian Family Foundation to locate the Bastian Agricultural Center at the Salt Lake County Equestrian Park in South Jordan.
The proposed plan is intended to accommodate an urban agricultural and equine center within the Equestrian Park.
The primary goals and focus of the USU Bastian Agricultural Center would be to:
- Provide agricultural education and experiences to an increasingly urban population
- Promote youth education through the only youth 4-H center in Utah
- Deliver community-based adult education
- Provide research-based information to local government, community organizers, constituents
and corporate leaders
- Share the most recent agricultural knowledge, technologies, and manufacturing methods
- Further research and development to discover better products and processes
Under the proposal, USU Extension would:
- Enter into an Interlocal agreement allowing them to take ownership of Equestrian Park to become the home of the USU Bastian Agricultural Center
- Continue to operate the majority of current equestrian services at the park as well as other agricultural and educational programming
- Add a STEM Center, Plant Production Center, Animal Center, and Nature Resource area to the facility
- Continue current equine events while updating arenas and facilities to draw more equine and non-equine events in the future
Frequently Asked Questions
Review the frequently asked questions about the proposal. They will be continuously updated based on comments received.
The County is currently collecting public feedback to identify issues or concerns. The public comment period will be open through December 3rd.
Salt Lake County has continued to support the equestrian community, event clients, and surrounding residents of the park and wants to ensure that we consider your input as part of the review process.
Salt Lake County Contact: CommunityServices@slco.org