Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Seal of the Salt Lake County Clerk's office

Lannie K. Chapman
Salt Lake County Clerk

Clerk's Office

Purchase a marriage license only

Marriage licenses are issued by appointment only. They may be used immediately upon purchase and must be used within 32 days. Refunds and extensions will not be granted. Cost per license is $50 and includes two certified copies. Licenses issued in Salt Lake County may be used in any county in the State of Utah.

How to apply:

  1. Schedule an appointment with the Clerk's office (does not include marriage ceremony).
  2. Fill out and submit an online application (you don't need to bring a copy with you).
  3. Arrive at your scheduled appointment with the following:
    1. Both parties.
    2. A state driver's license or other valid identification for both parties.
    3. $50 payment. We accept AMEX, MasterCard, Visa, cash, or check.
    4. A certified copy of the divorce decree if one or both parties were divorced in the last 30 days.

Please feel free to contact our office with any questions.

Contact Information

  (385) 468-7300
  2001 South State Street, S2-200
PO Box 144575
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575


Monday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Wednesday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I get a copy of my marriage license?
Request by Mail

If requesting by mail, please include:

  • Name of person requesting copy
  • Address of requestor
  • Name of applicants with the name used at the time of application.
  • Date and place of marriage
  • License number if possible
  • $2.00 per uncertified copy
    check or money order payable to the Salt Lake County Clerk 
  • $3.00 per phone order Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard only 
  • $5.00 per certified copy (legal copy) check or money order payable to the Salt Lake County Clerk

Mail your request to:

Salt Lake County Clerk, Marriage Division
2001 South State Street, Suite S2 200
PO Box 144575
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575

Request by Phone (385) 468-7300

If requested by phone you must:

  • Be one of the spouses listed on the marriage license
  • Provide the year of marriage and the names as they appear on the license
  • Provide a return phone number
  • Provide a Visa or MasterCard with the following information:
    • Name as it appears on the card
    • The credit card statement address
    • Credit card number
    • The authorizing number on the back of the card
    • Expiration date
Who may perform a marriage ceremony?

According to Utah Code Title 30, Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only:

    • Ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are:
      • in regular communion with any religious society; and
      • 18 years of age or older
    • Native American spiritual advisors
    • The governor
    • The lieutenant governor
    • The state attorney general
    • The state treasurer
    • The state auditor
    • Mayors of municipalities or county executives
    • A justice, judge, or commissioner of a court of record
    • A judge of a court not of record of the state
    • Judges or magistrates of the United States
    • The county clerk of any county in the state, or the county clerk's designee
    • A senator or representative of the Utah Legislature
    • A member of the state's congressional delegation
    • A judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

DESIGNEE (A couple can select a person to be authorized to perform their wedding ceremony.)

Utah Code Title 30 allows for a County Clerk Designee to solemnize marriages. This option can be utilized to have someone authorized by the County Clerk to officiate at a single marriage ceremony within the State of Utah. For information on a designee to perform your wedding ceremony, email or call 385-468-7300.

Where can I find judges willing to perform a marriage ceremony?


By Appointment Only

Judge Randy B. Birch
Heber City, UT 84032
(435) 671-2555
Performs in Spanish

Judge Augustus G. Chin
(801) 273-9731
4580 South 2300 East
Holladay, UT 84117
Performs in Spanish

Judge Shauna Graves-Robertson
(385) 468-8200
2001 S. State Street, S4200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84190

Judge Ronald Kunz
(801) 256-2290
8040 South Redwood Road
West Jordan, UT 84088

Judge Sydney Magid
(801) 535-6437
(801) 891-3337
333 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

Judge George F. Vo-Duc (Midvale City)
7505 South Holden St.
Midvale UT 84047

Judge Scott Mickelson
Bluffdale Justice Court
14400 South 2222 West
Bluffdale, UT 84065

Judge Jeanne Robison
(801) 535-6443
333 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

Judge Ronald C. Wolthuis
(801) 567-1216
655 W. Center St.
Midvale, Utah 84047


By Appointment Only

Judge Joanne Rigby
(801) 263-7877

What is a mutual commitment registry?
What is the Salt Lake County Mutual Commitment Registry?

This registry creates a way for Salt Lake County to recognize relationships of mutual commitment, support, and caring. Governmental entities, employers and businesses can readily access and use the registry, if they choose to do so, to determine eligibility for benefits.

Registry Forms and Ordinance
General Information Regarding the Mutual Commitment Registry:
What you need to file a Declaration of Mutual Commitment -
  1. Two individuals, 18 years of age or older
  2. Please bring ID when you come into the office to file your Declaration.
  3. You must bring with you two of the following four types of documentation:
    • A joint loan obligation, mortgage, lease or joint ownership of real property or a vehicle
    • A life insurance policy, retirement benefits account, or will or trust of one declarant designating the other declarant as beneficiary thereto, or will or trust of one declarant which designates the other declarant as executor or successor trustee
    • A mutually granted power of attorney for purposes of healthcare or financial management
    • Proof showing that one declarant is authorized to sign for purposes of the other declarant’s bank or credit account
  4. The declarants must share a primary residence.
  5. You will need to complete the Declaration form.
  6. If you have previously filed a Declaration, it must be six months since you also filed a notice of termination for that mutual commitment.
  7. The filing fee is $30 and can be paid with Visa, Mastercard or AMEX.
  8. Upon the filing of the Declaration and payment of the fee, you will be issued 2 certified copies of the completed Declaration.
When to file an Amended Declaration of Mutual Commitment -

If you move or change your mailing address, please update your Declaration of Mutual Commitment. An amendment form is available in the Clerk’s Office. There is no fee for filing an amended Declaration. 

Notice of Termination of Mutual Commitment
  1. One or both declarants must sign the Notice. If only one declarant signs, he/she must affirm that they sent a copy of the notice to the other party.
  2. No fee is charged. If the declarant(s) would like certified copies of the notice, a certified copy will be issued to each party.
Use of Mutual Commitment Registry

Salt Lake County Ordinance, Chapter 2.10, sets forth the uses for the Mutual Commitment Registry.  Those uses include:

All facilities owned or operated by the County and services provided by the County shall allow those listed on the Mutual Commitment Registry, and his or her children, to be included in any rights and privileges accorded a spouse and children for purposes of use and access to County facilities and services.

The Mutual Commitment Registry may be made available to County offices and departments, other governmental entities, private businesses, and non-profit entities, and other associations to verify the status of persons listed on the Registry.

Can legal minors be married?
Individuals requesting a marriage license who are 16 or 17 years of age

(Note: The age difference between both parties to the marriage must be less than seven years.)

  • Must provide a certified birth certificate and have parental or legal guardian consent to be married.
  • The parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in-person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
  • Must provide a certified birth certificate and have parental consent to be married.
  • They must obtain written authorization from a judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides or a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council.
  • The judge or court commissioner shall require that both parties to the marriage complete premarital counseling. This requirement may be waived if premarital counseling is not reasonably available.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation.
Can first cousins be married?

<p>First cousins may marry if they are 65 years of age or older. If they are between 55 and 64 years of age, the district court in the county where they reside must find that either person is incapable of reproduction in order for them to be married.</p>
<p><strong>Qualifications:</strong>&nbsp;Any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity, except for cousins as stated above, may not be married.</p>