Frequently Asked Questions

back to FAQ index


Salt Lake County Health Department website

How do I get a copy of my birth certificate?

The Salt Lake Valley Health Department (SLVHD) issues birth certificates for births occurring within the Salt Lake City limits from 1890 to the present and birth certificates for the entire state of Utah from 1951 to the present time.

I have heard the SLVHD offers free mammograms. How do I qualify?

What immunizations does my child need for school entry?

What is the most common cause of death in Salt Lake County?

The most common cause of death for people age one to forty-four is from injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

Where can I get help to quit smoking?

A community resource guide is available from the Tobacco Prevention and Control Program that includes a listing of both cost and no-cost "quit" classes. Call 801 468-2124 for more information.

What is the timeline for implementation of fluoridated water in Salt Lake County?

The implementation date for fluoridation of all water sources in Salt Lake County is October 1, 2003. What does fluoride do?

What does SLVHD do to protect our drinking water?

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires public water systems to be surveyed every three to five years as part of the Safe Drinking Water Act. These are called Sanitary Surveys and include items such as complaints, sampling, cross connections, piping and screening, seals and vents, lids and accesses, disinfections, storage, distribution, pumping, source protection, and waivers to keep drinking water safe and secure.

The SLVHD samples drinking water from all County water systems on a regular and random basis to ensure they meet the requirements for safe levels of bacteria. The SLVHD also works with city and County officials and Public Drinking Water Systems to enact ordinances and enforce regulations to help protect our drinking water sources from becoming contaminated. ... more

Where and how do I get a food handler card (food handler permit)?

Food handler cards are required BEFORE a person works in the food service industry. The information is available in Spanish and English. Español

Where can I take my household hazardous waste for proper disposal (i.e. paint, pesticides, fuel, oil, gasoline, antifreeze) and what does it cost?

The Household Hazardous Waste Facilities are FREE to Salt Lake County residents.

  • Salt Lake Valley
    Solid Waste Management Facility
    6030 West California Avenue (1400 S)
    Open 8 am - 4 pm,
    Monday - Saturday
  • Trans Jordan Landfill
    10873 South 7200 West, Highway U-111
    Open 8 am - 4 pm,
    Monday - Saturday

The SLVHD also offers one-day collection events throughout Salt Lake County during the spring and summer. To find out when and where the next collection event is scheduled or more information about household hazardous waste call 801 313-6700 or visit the SLVHD website at Collection Events.

I am going to be traveling overseas. What vaccinations do I need?

Vaccinations for travel to foreign countries vary depending on the destination. The SLVHD International Travel Clinic can help overseas travelers enjoy their vacations or business trips by preparing them with written instructions and advice about typical travelers sicknesses, food and water precautions, Yellow Fever and Malaria. They can also give detailed information about specific countries, their cultures, and possible medical problems in addition to prescribing certain travel medications. Immunizations necessary to leave and re-enter the United States are also available.